Just like humans, dogs can suffer from both acute and chronic conditions like allergies, diabetes, digestive issues, skin conditions, joint pain, and more. All these common ailments can cause discomfort and distress for your beloved pet.
My Best Friend Veterinary Center in Olivette, MO is the perfect place to seek treatment for common dog illnesses. Our experienced team of veterinarians is highly trained and equipped with the latest technology to diagnose and treat common dog illnesses quickly and effectively. We understand that your pet’s well-being is your top priority, so we put their health first, every time. Request an appointment!
Different Types of Common Dog Illnesses
Common dog illnesses can range from mild to serious and include ear infections, itchy skin/skin infections, dental disease, vomiting/diarrhea, stiffness and pain, urinary problems, and obesity.
- Ear Infections – Ear infections are extremely common and can be caused by allergies, mites or bacterial infections. Some breeds are more prone to ear issues than others.
- Itchy skin – Itchy skin is also common in dogs and is usually caused by environmental or food allergies, fleas, or bacterial skin infections. Regular grooming and bathing and any necessary specialized treatments can help keep your dog’s skin healthy.
- Dental Disease – Dental disease is another common issue that can cause pain, bad breath, and even tooth loss in dogs if left untreated. Regular dog teeth cleanings can help prevent dental disease.
- Vomiting and Diarrhea – Vomiting and diarrhea can be caused by various conditions ranging from dietary issues to more serious health problems. Always call your vet if your dog experiences prolonged bouts of vomiting and diarrhea as dehydration is a common side effect.
- Stiffness and Pain – Stiffness and pain are common issues in older dogs and can often be caused by arthritis or other joint problems. There are many medications and treatments that help your pet be more comfortable.
- Urinary Problems – Urinary problems can range from common infections to more serious health issues.
- Obesity – Obesity is also a common issue in dogs and can be caused by sedentary lifestyles, overfeeding, or certain medical conditions. Our team can help you manage your dog’s diet with nutritional counseling.
Symptoms of Common Dog Illnesses
It is important to be aware of the common symptoms associated with common dog illnesses so you can identify any problems early and get your pup the treatment they need. Common symptoms can include changes in appetite, behavior, energy levels, or physical appearance. Below are some of the symptoms a dog may experience if they are suffering from an illness.
- Shaking or rubbing the head, foul odor coming from the ears, and redness around the ear are all signs of a possible ear infection.
- Itchy skin can cause excessive scratching and licking, hair loss, and red or irritated patches on the skin.
- Dogs that have bad breath, yellow-brown tartar buildup on the teeth, or difficulty eating may have dental disease.
- Vomiting and diarrhea can cause a lack of appetite, dehydration, lethargy, and abdominal pain.
- Stiffness and pain can be indicated by limping, difficulty getting up or down stairs, reluctance to exercise, and changes in behavior.
- Excessive drinking, frequent urination, and accidents in the house may be due to a urinary problem.
- An enlarged belly, panting, and lack of energy could all be indicators of obesity.
Keeping an eye out for these signs can help you catch issues early on and get your dog the care they need to stay healthy. If you notice any of these symptoms, be sure to contact your veterinarian as soon as possible for further advice.
Treatment for Common Dog Illnesses
My Best Friend Veterinary Center is the perfect place to seek treatment for common dog illnesses. Utilizing the latest technology, our Olivette, MO veterinarians can diagnose and treat your dog to help make them happier and healthier! Treatment will vary depending on the condition, but common treatments include antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medications, and dietary changes. We also have specialized treatments such as laser therapy and physical rehabilitation for more serious cases.
We understand how important your pet’s health is to you, so we offer the highest quality of care and attention to ensure your pet gets the optimal treatment. Our compassionate team will provide your pet with the best possible outcome so they can get back to feeling their best.
If you suspect your pet may be suffering from any of the common dog illnesses we’ve mentioned, book an appointment at My Best Friend Veterinary Center in Olivette, MO today and let our experienced team provide your beloved pet with the care and attention they deserve.
Leave A Comment